Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Bringing an Awkward Adolescence To An End (Hopefully!)


And to begin today's confession, I refer once again to my inordinate stack of unfinished objects. You know, the ever-encroaching stack of projects that either didn't turn out as beautiful in reality as they were in my imagination, or those that just got stuck at an awkward phase.

Kind of like I did between the ages of 9 and 17 (or 9 and now...)

And no, I will not subject you to my school photo from seventh grade. THAT, my friends, would scar your psyches beyond all repair, and frankly, I just can't be responsible for that.

Instead, I will show you a picture of the latest project that I hope to rescue from its own adolescent bizarre-ness. (Bizarre-itude? Bizarre-ification? Ok, now my head hurts.)




It started with the ceramic face. It grew and grew, to a point where I just ran out of steam (or inspiration or interest) to continue working on it. So it lived on my work table for a long time. I mean a long time. Long enough that it's now lived in two different states in its, um, unfinished state. Yes, it got packed up in our former home and moved to our new home. Six years ago.

That's long enough to subject anything to an awkward adolescent phase, don't you think? I've got some ideas for where to go with it now.




I went fishing through the seed bead collection, pulled out some likely candidates, and I'm going to bust out the needle and the nymo and get cracking. Let's see if we can turn this ugly duckling into something a little more presentable!

2 comments:

Shirley said...

Ok, hard to tell the size of your sea nymph, is she pendant size? I love her colors, and I think she's definitely earned a place of honor in your bead room! :)

KJ said...

I can't speak for anyone else, but I have similar experiences. I am currently unpacking so I am finding lots of bits and pieces that are not going to be finished- a bottle that the beads had faded to an unpleasant shade, a pair of keds that were going to be covered in beads but it was too hard to push the needle through, old earrings that I no longer cared for the style (these go to Salvation Army.)

I also have found little boxes of mixed beads. Now those are a treasure.