Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Strawberry Stains, Cicada Attacks, and Breastplate-Wearing Women

This weekend was the first of my shows for the fall, and y'all, I'm still grinning about it.

The weather was gorgeous, the crowds were HUGE, and people were very responsive to my jewelry. A lady came into the booth wearing an amazing breastplate (really, the only way to describe the construction of found objects and wires that had been fashioned together -- this piece would be the dictionary illustration of "statement necklace"), and I thought "oh, goodie, a woman who enjoys showing off her style."  Sure enough, she bought two of my more exuberant pieces, this necklace from the A Time To Stitch challenge:


and a green freeform peyote necklace that I'm not sure I have a picture of.  Bless her heart, I loved that lady!

Of course, it would not have been a story from my life if there hadn't been moments of wierdness and klutziness.  I made my way over to the artists' breakfast on Sunday morning, got a cupful of luscious looking strawberries, and headed back to my tent.  On the way, I passed a small tree and was thinking how loud the cicadas in it were, when a huge thing (it was either a mutant cicada or a B-52 - this thing was BIG) flew right into my neck next to my ear.  Imagine, if you will, me jumping up and down, waving my arms and whooping, while all the strawberries in my cup go flying around the park.  I slinked (slunk?) back to the bandstand, refilled my cup with new berries, and went back to my tent via a path that was far from the Tree of the Killer Cicadas.  Back in the tent, I bite into the first strawberry, marvel at how juicy it is, and then realize that I now have a big strawberry juice stain down the front of my shirt.  Yep.  Fortunately I had some water, so I started the second day of the show with a big ol' wet spot on my chest.  Classy, huh?

Anyway, here are a pictures of some of the earrings that went home with folks this past weekend. 

 


Another show this weekend -- I'll be at the worktable every night until then, working to get ready.  And this time, I'll steer clear of cicada-bearing trees...

6 comments:

Therese's Treasures said...

LMAO Bobbie, you are hilarious! I am still laughing every time I imagine you jumping around trying to get the killer cicada off of you. Good thing you notice the juice stain and had some water, but I bet those strawberries were worth the stain.
I am so thrilled for you that you did well. I hope you do better this coming weekend.
Therese

Alice said...

Well at least you entertained the crowds. I'm so happy your show was a success. Would love to see that breastplate you mentioned!

Karin Slaton said...

SO glad your show went well! And I do remember that necklace - how the turquoise brought out the warmer side of purple so brilliantly. I'm sure it will become one of Breastplate Shopper's go-to pieces. Looking forward to stopping by your booth and seeing your creations in person next week-end!

KJ said...

Keepin' it real.

Statement necklaces serve a double purpose- they hide stains.

Glad the show turned out well for you. Good luck with the next one.

Shirley said...

Oh heck, you cracked me up! I can just see it! And, I'd have been doing the same, I hate bugs. So glad the show went well. :)

Christine Altmiller said...

shows are never without their hilarity and absurdity :-) a vision of flailing arms and strawberries raining down has me in stitches! i am so glad you did well at the show. how many more to go?!